Have I mentioned recently that y'all are awesome? I was studying your responses to Monday's post on a typical day in your life, and I was just so impressed with your honesty and insights. These are MY insights after reading what you shared with us:
1. You are all busy. Like, mind boggling busy. I thought, "Was I that busy in high school?" and I realized, uh, yeah, I was. so I absolutely get it.
2. The majority of you see that you "waste time." Or what you consider to be wasting time. As KATY quoted for us, "You don't waste hours, you waste minutes."
3. Sleep is an issue for a lot of you. Some of you aren't getting enough. Others are spending a large portion of the day practically in a coma. It's not unusual for you to go to bed at a decent hour and lie awake until the week hours of the morning.
4. Most of you aren't all that happy with the way you're spending your time.
5. Tablets and laptops seem to be HUGE time-suckers.
Okay, so first, I have a question -- and this is mostly for my own education, because I'm not sure I know the answer. What is it that you're doing on your tablets, laptops and computers for all those hours. This is NOT a judgment of any kind, honestly. I would really like to get a realistic picture of what is pulling to that screen. Teach me, will you?
The one thing you all seemed to differ on is how much time you dedicate to just being alone with God. We've already covered the "Ya gotta spend at least twenty minutes, ladies," thing. You know that. There's way more to The Whole Christian Thing" as it was intended by God to be (as far as I can tell) than "doing devotions" and getting on with "real life." And that's what we're looking for, right?
So -- here's what I would love to see you do -- and before I lay it out for you and you go -- "Seriously? Did she READ my comment about my schedule? I don't have TIME to do this!" -- I'm going on vacation next week with my family (to ... wait for it ... DISNEYWORLD!) and since it will be our first real get-away together in two years -- and our FIRST with everybody since 3 1/2 year old Maeryn was born, I'm going to immerse myself in that time. That means I won't be posting again after today until Monday, November 3. So what I'm about to suggest, you can do over the next 10 days.
Here's the challenge:
* Take out that outline of your typical day and a pen/marker in a different color ink.
* As you read it through, imagine that Jesus is physically there with you as you complete each task (including sleeping, surfing on your laptop -- everything)
* Next to each item (in that different color ink) write down what you think he's doing while you're occupied with whatever it is.
Guidelines for this exercise:
* Don't change anything because you think Jesus wouldn't like it. Work with what's already there. Otherwise this won't show you anything.
* Don't get all judgy with yourself. Jesus isn't judging you so there's no need for you to do it either.
* Do this with an "Isn't this just so interesting?" attitude. See if you can sort of step outside yourself and look at this objectively. Here's an example:
11:00- 4:00 play games on tablet Jesus waits for me to get done
During the week, feel free to give each other progress reports. You know, like, "Does anybody else feel like Jesus is looking over your shoulder when you're watching youtube videos?" Or, "It's like Jesus has a sense of humor. I never got that before."
Have a great 10 days together. I know I'll have stories to tell and pictures to share when I get back. And hopefully I'll realize that Jesus is there -- at DisneyWorld -- through every princess sighting and tea cup ride.