Gooood morning, Mini-Women! You rock, do you know that? You love each other -- you respect one another -- you're honest and eager and funny and godly. As ASHER pointed out, sometimes it's hard to find other girls to pray with and talk to about the Jesus life, so this community is like a gift. Thank you for being here to share it.
Speaking of sharing, good on EVE for celebrating the 7th birthday of Tween You and Me by inviting one of her CFFs (that's Close Friends Forever) to join us. How cool is that?
AND speaking of celebrations, I loved that you recognized our blog birthday by eating ice cream and cookies (especially Oreos) and chocolate cake. One of you even read a Lily book to mark the occasion!
AND while we're on the subject of reading books, the only reason I ask you not to recommend books besides mine here on the blog is NOT because I don't want you to read anybody else's work (I love Christy Miller too). It's because I can't read everything that's out there and since I'm responsible for what appears here -- you can see how that would be impossible. So, if you want to share a book or series with us, email me first and I'll check it out and mention it in a post. Fair enough?
Now, about those I words. You provided an awesome (and Intense!) list, filling in this blank:
To know that God is close I need to be I____________
You came up with:
Inspired (by God continuously)
full of Integrity
aware of my Inner beauty
willing to use my Intelligence
Investigating God’s word ( as SARA said, like investigating your frig to find more food!)
Just as with all of your Imaginative lists, we would do well to be ALL of these things. The one I had in mind (and so did EVE, OLIVIA AND THELITTLEFLOWER) was ... drum roll, please ...
For us to be ANY of the things on our list -- or the rest of our alphabet of close-to-God words -- we have to WANT to be close to God. If we're just doing it because we think we're supposed to or somebody else says we should, we're not going to keep it up. We'll forget. We'll let other people's opinions tell us who to be.
So what does it mean to be INTERESTED when it comes to God?
* wanting to understand what God's saying in the Bible
* seriously hoping to know who we were made by God to be
* being fascinated by the way God works in the world
* not being able to get enough of God
What does that look like?
1. Focusing on the parts of the Bible that are important for you right now, today.
2. Writing in your Talking to God Journal (TTGJ) because you really care that God gets where you're coming from right now, today
3. Finding some way to learn more about what you want to know right now, today -- whether that's through a mentor or a good Sunday school class or a small group or a youth group
4. Looking for God everywhere -- did you see him, for example, in the movie Inside Out, which a lot of you have watched, or in that Lily or Christy Miller book, or in your little brother's face when he said "I love you" for no reason at all?
5. Asking other people what they know about God -- the way you're doing by just showing up here on the blog
THEN write. Don't be afraid -- God understands -- and you won't get help unless you ask God for it, right?
THEN choose one (or more!) of the five(5) ways listed above that you could get more INTERESTED in being close to God. Share that with us. Because, remember, if we aren't eager and enthused and ready, the rest of it is just going to church and saying the blessing at the dinner table.
Me? I'm revving up my INTEREST by studying the Gospel of Luke and creating in my journal and coming here twice a week, to be with you, my close-to-God Mini-Women!